An easy recipe for a light healthy salad. Perfect for lunch or dinner on a hot day or a side salad to accompany any meal. It’s packed with the goodness of calcium, fibre, omega 3 fatty acids and protein.
- 1 small can (400 g) chickpeas
- 1 small can (400 g) of sweet corn
- 2 small cans (150 g) of the tuna in water or brine
- 50g shredded tasty cheese
- 1/2 cup (25 g) continental parsley
- White vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Sea salt or pepper to taste
- Drain the corn and the chickpeas and place in a bowl.
- Open the tuna and place in with the chickpeas and corn. Drain if there is too much liquid.
- Put in the tasty cheese.
- Wash and cut up the parsley and add to the dish.
- Add the seasoning to your taste and mix.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: No cooking
Difficulty rating: Easy
- Use flavoured tuna for extra taste.
- Use low fat cheese to reduce the calories and fat in this recipe- you’ll still get the same amount of calcium and important micronutrient for healthy teeth and bones. Add extra low fat cheese for a calcium rich salad. This is a good idea if you have an increased calcium requirement, for example because:
- Check the labels on canned food and make sure you choose brands with no added salt, sugar or fat. Reducing fat and sugar intake is an important step for improving you diet.
This nutritious salad was designed by Sue in Narre Warren, Victoria.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||18.83 g|
|Total sugars||8.30 g|
For more information on nutrition, including information on types and composition of food, nutrition and people, conditions related to nutrition, and diets and recipes, as well as some useful videos and tools, see Nutrition.
|For more information on gluten-free diets, see Gluten-Free Diet.|