What is a palliative care physician?
A palliative care physician is a doctor who specialises in the care of dying patients.
They often coordinate a multidisciplinary team that ensures optimisation of care around the time of death.
Their role includes supporting the emotional as well as medical and physical wellbeing through the dying process.
Medical conditions treated by a palliative care physician
A palliative care physician treats any condition where death is the expected eventual outcome, including:
- Degenerative neurological diseases
- Severe heart and lung disease
- Liver disease
What to expect at your first appointment
Your palliative care physician needs to know about your condition but also about you and your family’s expectations, hopes and understanding.
History taking will focus initially on your condition and your current symptoms. They will also ask about past medical history, medications, allergies, social and family history.
Establishing a care plan
Next it is important for your palliative care physician to establish what are your main concerns so these can be addressed individually and completely.
Palliative care physicians are specially trianed to communicate, explain and guide patients and families through what is a very difficult time.
The approach is very multidisciplinary with nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and doctors all being invovled.
Book your health appointments online
Find and instantly book your next health appointment with Healthengine
Specialty areas of interest
- Pain management
- Psychological management of dying and bereavement
- Aged care
- Paediatric palliative care
Training and qualifications
- Find a Palliative Care Physician
- Palliative Care Australia
- Australian government – department of health and ageing
- Wikipedia – Palliative Care
A: Use HealthEngine to find and book your next Palliative Medicine Physician appointment. Click on the following locations to find a Palliative Medicine Physician clinic in your state or territory.
- Palliative Medicine Physician Clinics in ACT
- Palliative Medicine Physician Clinics in NSW
- Palliative Medicine Physician Clinics in NT
- Palliative Medicine Physician Clinics in QLD
- Palliative Medicine Physician Clinics in SA
- Palliative Medicine Physician Clinics in TAS
- Palliative Medicine Physician Clinics in VIC
- Palliative Medicine Physician Clinics in WA
This article is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical advice. If in doubt, HealthEngine recommends consulting with a registered health practitioner.
All content and media on the HealthEngine Blog is created and published online for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition. Never disregard the advice of a medical professional, or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor, go to the nearest hospital emergency department, or call the emergency services immediately.