Number of servings: 4
- 100 grams chorizo sausage
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 stalks celery thinly sliced
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 800 g tinned cannellini beans, rinsed
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Grill the chorizo for a few minutes until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Spray a non-stick fry pan add the chorizo, onion and celery to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened.
- Add the garlic, thyme and paprika and cook, stirring, until you can smell the aromas;
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- Add stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Difficulty rating: Easy
- Serve with your favourite whole grain bread. Whole grain cereal products contain more fibre than their white equivalents. Fibre is used by the gastrointestinal system to digest food;
- Check the package labels on canned beans and choose a brand with no added fat or salt. Choosing products with no added fat and salt is an easy step you can take to improve your diet and reduce your risk of developing chronic health conditions like obesity, erectile dysfunction, type 2 diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome;
- Leave out the chorizo or substitute for a soy product if you are cooking for someone who follows a vegetarian diet.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||7.79 g|
|Saturated fat||2.87 g|
|Total sugars||7.84 g|
For more information on nutrition, including information on types and composition of food, nutrition and people, conditions related to nutrition, and diets and recipes, as well as some useful videos and tools, see Nutrition.