Fool your friends with this healthy, impressive looking dish, suitable for an entrée or fancy finger food. It takes just 30 minutes to prepare and cook. Contains tofu, prawns and spices.
Serves 4 (entrée or sides)
- 2 rolls (250 g) Japanese egg tofu (each cut into 4 thick slices)
- 150 g green prawns (shelled, chopped)
- 1 Tbsp fermented black beans (rinsed and mashed into small bits)
- 2 small chillies (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp corn flour
Marinade for prawns:
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 egg white
- Arrange sliced tofu gently in a deep plate.
- Coat chopped prawns with marinade. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Arrange prawns on top of each tofu round. Sprinkle some carrots on top.
- Steam the plate for 5–6 minutes until cooked. Pour away excess liquid on the plate.
- Heat pan with 1 spoonful of oil.
- Sauté garlic, chillies, and mashed black beans. Fry for 1–2 minutes.
- Add sugar, chicken stock and water to make a sauce. Stir thoroughly.
- Mix the corn flour with a spoonful of water. Add to the sauce to thicken it. Add drops of water until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the sauce over the steamed tofu and prawn.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Difficulty rating: Easy
- Serve on a large platter as an impressive finger food for parties or buffets. The tofu looks very appetisng with the carrot topping.
- For a main meal, prepare four individual plates. Serve with steamed jasmine rice or brown rice for a high-fibre option. Fibre is an important micronutrient used by the gastrointestinal system to aid digestion. Whole grains such as brown rice and brown bread have more fibre than processed grains like white rice and white bread.
- Take care when preparing raw prawns as they can cause food poisoning if they come into contact with raw foods like salad.
- Select a brand of tofu that is calcium enriched. The package label will say that it is calcium enriched. This may be particularly important for people who do not consume enough calcium and some groups of women who have an increased calcium requirement, for example because:
This healthy recipe is a favourite of Jessica from Springvale, Victoria.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||5.93 g|
|Saturated fat||0.91 g|
|Total sugars||2.48 g|
For more information on nutrition, including information on types and composition of food, nutrition and people, conditions related to nutrition, and diets and recipes, as well as some useful videos and tools, see Nutrition.