This recipe for delicious, easy to prepare salmon steaks makes an impressive main at a dinner party or an easy meal after work. Serve with steamed greens for a delicious healthy meal, loaded with vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids.
Makes 1 serve
- 5 pecan nuts
- 5 unsalted pistachio nuts
- 1 slice stale wholegrain bread
- 1 tsp pesto
- 120 g salmon steak
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- Place nuts and stale bread in a food processor and process until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Combine bread mix with pesto. Coat the salmon with this paste.
- Place salmon on baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 6–10 minutes, depending on how pink you like your salmon.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Difficulty rating: Easy
- Serve with lightly steamed green vegetables, drizzled with orange or mandarin juice. Steamed greens are an excellent source of micronutrients, which are important for maintaining healthy eyes, skin and sperm. Serving all meals with greens on the side is an easy way to ensure you eat all the vegetables you need for a healthy balanced diet.
- Make sure you use wholegrain bread, not white bread. Breads and other cereals made from whole grains contain more fibre per serve than cereals prepared from processed grains. Fibre is an important micronutrient that is used by the gastrointestinal system for digestion.
- Use a gluten-free bread to make this recipe gluten free and suitable for people with coeliac disease.
- If you use commercial pesto for this recipe, check the package label of several different brands and choose the one with the least fat, salt and sugar. Make a habit of choosing products with low fat, sugar and salt content. It will improve your diet and reduce your risk of developing chronic health conditions like obesity, erectile dysfunction, type 2 diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome.
This healthy recipe was designed by Jane in Coomera, QLD.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||28.3 g|
|Saturated fat||4.9 g|
|Total sugars||1.8 g|
|Omega 3 fatty acids||2361.6 mg|
For more information on nutrition, including information on types and composition of food, nutrition and people, conditions related to nutrition, and diets and recipes, as well as some useful videos and tools, see Nutrition.