What is a Sports Physician?
- The term "sports physician" is reserved for Fellows of the Australian College of Sports Physicians (ACSP)
- A sports physician is a medical practitioner who has gained specialist standard qualifications in sport and exercise medicine (SEM) and holds the qualification of Fellow of the Australasian College of Sports Physicians. The post-nominal that identifies this qualification is FACSP.
What is a Sports Doctor?
- The term 'sports medicine practitioner' or 'sports doctor' is used for all doctors with a qualification—for example, Master of Sports Medicine, Diploma of Sports Medicine—and/or interest in sports medicine.
- A 'sports doctor' is a medical practitioner with recognized medical qualification and a commitment to sports medicine. They are usually a member of Sports Medicine Australia and a member of the Sports Doctors Association.
Sports Medicine Qualifications
- Health Professionals with a minimum of 7 years full membership of the Sports Medicine Association (SMA) with higher tertiary qualifications, attended Australian and international conferences and with research published in national or international journals.
- Medical Practitioners who hold a postgraduate qualification in Sports Medicine and are members of Sports Doctors Australia
PostGraduate Qualifications in Sports Medicine
- M Sp Med - Masters in Sports Medicine
- Dip SEM - Diploma in Sports and Exercise Medicine
- GradDip SEM -Postgraduate Diploma in Sports and Exercise Medicine
- GradCert SEM -Graduate Certificate in Sports and Exercise Medicine
- Many courses available in Australia and overseas e.g. Queensland
Australasian College of Sports Physicians (ACSP)
- Formerly AustralianCollege of Sports Physicians.
- The professional body representing sports physicians in both Australia and New Zealand. It conducts an annual scientific conference, produces a scientific journal and is involved in both training and assessment of sports physicians.
- Sport and Exercise Medicine was recognised by the Federal Minister for Health and Ageing as a medical specialty in May 2007. The ACSP is now seeking accreditation as the approved provider of training and assessment in this discipline. This process is expected to be complete by the end of 2009.
- ACSP conducts the only specialist level clinical training program in sports medicine and sport and exercise medicine in Australasia. The training program culminates in the award of a Fellowship in Sport and Exercise Medicine.
Sports Doctors Australia
- Professional society in sports medicine for medical practitioners.
- Membership is open to all medical practitioners with a commitment to sports medicine either within or outside Australia
- SDrA is an affiliated discipline group of Sports Medicine Australia (SMA)
- Provides continuing medical education in Sports Medicine in Australia
Sports Medicine Australia
- Sports Medicine Australia is Australia’s peak national umbrella body for sports medicine and sports science and the leading advisory body on all medical and health issues for active people – from weekend enthusiasts of all ages through to elite level competition.
- SMA is a multi-disciplinary organisation of professionals committed to improving the health of all Australians through safe participation in sport and recreational activities.
- It has a broad membership and includes sports medicine and health professionals; sports trainers; sporting clubs and community members.
- The SMA has branches throughout Australia
Australian Sports Medicine Federation [ASMF]
- The Order of A.S.M.F Fellows' was established in 1984.
- The Fellows' (FASMF) are an 'elite group' within Sports Medicine Australia (SMA).
- ASMF Fellows' have contributed by being a full member for seven years, attending Australian and international conferences, having research published in national or international publications, higher tertiary qualifications, assisting in the administration of some SMA projects and lecturing at workshops.
Useful Links - Australia
Useful Links - World